Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mrs Idiot makes meatballs!

So, due to an early christmas present, aka a cheque, (thanks grandpa!) Mr. Idiot and I had a lovely weekend which involved buffets, ice skating (I'm terrible) and brunch (I'm pretty good at that). Unfortunately for the blog, but fortunately for me, it did not actually involve any cooking. Unless you count Mr. Idiot microwaving corndogs (don't, that would be an unnecessary boost to his ego).
But, I'm back now with the meal plan, though not at all in the order I had intended to implement it. Oh well.
But, let's get to the meat of this post. See what I did there??
I was really excited to try these. I adore meatballs, not only because they are god damn delicious, but because they've always been one of those things I never bothered trying to make myself. I don't know why, because these meatballs are one of the easiest things I've made for dinner.
I looked up quite a few recipes for meatballs before I made these, including the one on the meal plan post, but I ended up making it up as I went along. I'm normally pretty skeptical of the 'wing it' approach to meals I've never made before, but these came out really well, they were shockingly easy and delicious.

Ingredients
1 lb of ground beef
1/3 of an onion, chopped finely
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
A splash of milk (the recipe links calls for 1/8 a cup, but who has the time to measure that?)
A generous dose of Worcestershire sauce (Again, the linked recipe calls for one teaspoon, but that seemed way to stingy)

I also added salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste.


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit and mix everything together in a bowl. You can use a spoon or a masher or whatever you like to combine the ingredients, but I had a really good time mushing it by hand; it's a gratifying substance ground beef.


Once the ground beef is good and mixed, roll out the meatballs. I used a tablespoon to help keep the size consistent. 
Wine is an important ingredient that I forgot to mention above.



Line them up in a baking pan. You don't have to leave much room between the balls, so feel free to squeeze as many of them in as you can. (Bonus for those of us who hate dishes) Bake them for about 25 minutes, and hey presto. Meatballs. 

This amount of ground beef yielded 24 meatballs, so both Mr Idiot and I had leftovers for lunch today. All that's left is make spaghetti and plate and you've got dinner. 


This whole recipe, including prep and cook time took me about 40 minutes, and half of that was drinking wine and watching River Monsters with Mr. Idiot, so the ease of cooking is high with this one. 
I'm pretty proud of these meatballs, and I've excited to make them again with different ingredients. They're easy to make, easy to freeze (just let them cool and stick in the freezer) and tasty. They also strike me as lending themselves to experimentation, so I'll definitely be trying new spices, different meat (Asian pork meatballs maybe?) and different combos of flavor. 

Have you got a better meatball recipe? Did you make these and love them? Let me know in the comments. 

Happy cooking. 


No comments:

Post a Comment