Sunday, January 26, 2014

Breakfast of champions

Breakfast is a pretty easy meal for paleo, because it's basically bacon and eggs every morning, no sweat. Plus, that much protein in the morning means I'm not hungry again during the day until nearly three. As much as I love bacon and eggs in all its permutations (soft-boiled eggs, hard boiled eggs, scrambled, fried) sometimes it's nice to mix things up. I've been experimenting with paleo pancakes, but with zero success so far. There's tons of recipes online, but mine just turn into mushy puddles. 
So, we're sticking with egg-based recipes so far, but I'll keep experimenting with non-egg breakfast foods. 
Anyway, this Mexican inspired brekkie is an amalgamation of a few recipes I found online, and whatever the hell was in my fridge. I think I'm getting the hang of throwing things together and getting pretty solid results. 
I made this recipe again this weekend for Mr. Idiot, and improved it vastly, but...I didn't take any pictures for you, so use your damn imagination. 

Breakfast of Champions
This recipe kept me full right up until dinner last Sunday, and then again for breakfast and lunch the next day. So it will (in theory) feed four.

1 sweet potato, diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1 tbsp pre-minced stuff)
2 tbsp coconut oil
handful of spinach (Or any other filler you like, spring onions, broccoli, anything you like)
2 roma tomatoes (you can use any tomatoes, this is just what was in the fridge)
7 eggs
Bacon. As I've said before, you can NEVER have too much bacon, I made 4 strips each

Chop everything, all the veggies get diced up and thrown in together.
Once the veggies are chopped, add coconut oil to large skillet, and add garlic over medium heat. 
Once the pan is hot and the garlic starts to brown add in chopped vegetables. Don't add the spinach yet. 

Once the sweet potatoes are soft to the touch (Use a spoon, not your hands, dur) add in the spinach and lower the heat to medium low. 
Crack the eggs directly into the skillet and mix everything together until it's all a nice big lumpy mess. 
Serve with bacon and some sliced and salted avocado. Feel free to add salsa, hot sauce, whatever you like. 
Alternatively, substitute the bacon for pork sausage mixed in with the eggs. I added two big spoonfuls of salsa to the scramble, and it was SO MUCH better the second time around. I think the fat from the pork sausage really helped bring all the vegetable flavors out. 
So. Good. 
I'm now officially on the lookout for paleo tortillas, so I can make breakfast burritos with this lovely, delicious mess. 



No comments:

Post a Comment